Monday, October 3, 2011

Disneyland Souvenir Guides

While preparing for this post I determined that I really need to work on filling in the gaps.  I have three of these books from the 1960's and the next one I have after that is from 2005.  I'm thinking I might have missed a few.  The first one of these I obtained was the 1968 version which I believe came from my Grandfather's house.  His basement was wall to wall books and I believe I may have appropriated this one on a trip there in either 1986 or 1988.  The other two older editions were picked up at antique stores in the last ten or so years and the 2005 edition I bought on my first trip to Disneyland in 2007.  Pictured below are each of the front covers and maybe some pictures from inside.


1961

"All the colors in the rainbow glisten in the distinctive Candle Shop on Main Street."  One of many unique stores that would never be created today because atmosphere is less relevant than selling one more Duffy bear.

"Steering through rapids is fun on the Motor Boat Cruise." 

"The Western Mine Train travels via the "Wilderness Route" through Nature's Wonderland on its journey to the spectacular Rainbow Caverns."  While I love Big Thunder Mountain, I would have loved to have had a chance to experience this attraction.

"Beaver Valley is one of the many exciting wilderness scenes that make a trip through Nature's Wonderland a fascinating experience."

"reathtaking waterfalls, multi-colored stalactites and stalagmites are seen inside beautiful Rainbow Caverns."

"Just as the fictional Tom did many years ago, youngsters play in the Tree House on Tom Sawyer Island."

1962 (featuring most of the same pictures as the 1961 edition)

"Space Travel - Flying Saucers with "guest pilots" hover over their Space Station in the world of Tomorrowland."

1968

"Tropical birds, Tikis and flowers spring to life in the Enchanted Tiki Room, a musical fantasy recalling legends of the South Seas."



2005

No comments:

Post a Comment