Monday, August 15, 2011

Fort Sam Clemens / Fort Langhorn

This past June I spent some time on Tom Sawyer Island for the first time in years.  It was still loads of fun.  I was a little disappointed that several things like Aunt Polly's Landing and, worst of all, the barrel bridge were roped off for no apparent reason.  This tended to cause some traffic snarls as several walkways dead ended and one had to circle the island or climb over the middle of it to reach one's destination.  I was also a little perplexed by the renaming of Fort Sam Clemens to Fort Langhorn.  While I had no attachment to the old name, it seems like one of those changes that serves absolutely no purpose and was made simply for the sake of changing something.

Let's cross this shaky suspension bridge.

Sights are set on the Rivers of America keeping the waterways safe from river pirates and savages.











These chickens seemed quite content in the cool shade.

The horses were resting peacefully in their stalls.


In the guard house someone else was resting as well.  Better hope the Fort isn't attacked.

At least we have an escape route.

The narrow passages of the Escape Tunnel were a lot more narrow than I remember.  I know I'm not as skinny as I once was but it was tight.

1 comment:

  1. At least, the fort is still named after Mark Twain. Wasn't his government name Samuel Langhorne Clemens?

    Those narrow passages seem a little frightening.

    ReplyDelete